Sunday, September 16, 2012

Culinary Success!

Have you ever had a meal that was so good that you tried to replicate it at home?  This has been an on-going challenge for me since 2009!

When John and I were in Tortola a few years ago, we stopped by a roadside cafe on our last evening on the island.  We had been trying to explore local cuisine and get a real taste of the Caribbean and we hit the jackpot in a couple of local "dives."  John took a picture:  a simple chicken dinner with beans and rice, fresh veggies and plantains.   What made this meal delicious was the ginger sauce over the chicken and the sweet plantains.

I have been trying to make the ginger sauce for almost two years and I think I finally have it!  The grocery store had plantains in the banana section, so it was time to give it once more try.

Not a very pretty food picture, but trust me, it was yummy.  Tomatoes from the garden, lightly fried and very sweet plantains, rice and peas, and grilled chicken covered with the ginger sauce.


Here's the recipe:

3 inches of minced fresh ginger.  (sorry, I didn't measure in tablespoons)  I suppose this part would be "to taste" anyway.
2 Tbls apple cider vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
3/4 cup apply jelly (provides great consistency and makes it more "sauce" than "juice")
1/2 tsp (probably more) salt
red pepper flakes - I didn't measure
dash of sesame seed oil - not much - and this could be left out.  I sort of wish I would've stopped before this.  I just thought it needed "something"  eh...not so sure, but you can't take it out once it's in! No harm, it just sort of "clouded" the ginger.  (that's when I added more!)

Pulverize it in the food processor for a few seconds.  This is great on chicken, fish, or pork.  It tastes just like the islands!  We brought home a bottle of Pussar's Ginger Sauce and I used that as my comparison (until it was gone!) My latest version is a bit sweeter and not as vinegar-y as I remember, but highly recommended!

Tomorrow night:  talapia (and more ginger sauce!)



1 comment:

  1. I want to be a taste tester. Too lazy to try the recipe but it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete