Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter memories

Holidays are always about family, so of course today  I'm thinking about my parents and the Easter egg hunts and big family dinners we used to have.  Although my mother NEVER wrote down any recipe for her delicious meals, I think that I've reconstructed her famous and much loved beef and noodles.  I made it for dinner last night, and I have to say with some humbleness...it was delicious.

Here's what I think Mom's noodle recipe might've been:

5 egg yolks (for her, it was just what ever you had left over after making something like an Angel food cake that used only the whites)
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 c (scant) of milk ("just enough" to get the dough together)

I made the noodles on Thursday and let them dry overnight.  On Friday, I rolled them up and cut them, just as I had seen her do thousands of times.  To be fair, she cut hers every thin and they were always exactly evenly done.  Mine were a bit more hap-hazard.  They continued to dry until Saturday.

I cooked the beef roast "low and slow" in the oven until it made it's own "juice" that was rich and brown.  After taking out the meat to "rest" - although it was done, done, done (Mom cooked it to death, and so did I!) - I added some beef stock to give me enough liquid to cook the noodles.

I dropped them in, let them simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, and kept an eye on the level of the broth so the noodles wouldn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. (I can still hear her saying that!) Here's a photo of the noodles in the pot SHE always cooked them in.  Maybe that's why my noodles tasted so much like hers??!


No doubt about it, this is one HEAVY meal:  Beef and noodles with mashed potatoes.  Comfort food at it's most comforting because it was from Mom.  This is much different than the way we cook and eat today, but it's so nice to know I can pull it off when needed.  Another way she stays with us.


How about a little pineapple upside down cake for todays  dinner?  This one is gluten-free and delicious.

Hippity-hoppity Happy Easter.  Happy Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment