Monday, April 2, 2012

SB#1

First things First on this First day of Spring Break.  CLEANING THE HOUSE!  Check!  All is relatively clean except for the closets (that's a lifetime of work and worry!) and the gunk behind the stove.  Enough said about that!

After a full morning of cleaning, etc, it was time to tackle craft #1: a new seat cushion for the outdoor bench.

This outdoor furniture belonged to my parents (modeled by Gus)  I remember these chairs, table, and seat from WAY BACK IN THE DAY when I was in junior high.  At the time, it had plastic yellow cushions.  Mom kept those until she passed away, but when I inherited the furniture, it was clear they were old, filled with holes, and a little water logged from years of sitting in the rain.  So, I decided that I could make something new.

Step one:  measure carefully!  I made a template of the seat and bought some foam padding.  This was NOT cheap.  I was surprised how expensive the padding alone would be.  Luckily, the outdoor fabric was on sale! A couple of reasons that I decided to make the cushion were: I couldn't find anything the right size and shape for this old-time bench, and everything already for sale was super, duper even more expensive than the materials I purchased.

Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy, I covered the padding with less than 1.5 yards of outdoor fabric and made two ties to secure it to the bench.
Ta-da! Now it's being enjoyed by Bob (Gus is no where around!)

Tomorrow's little crafting adventure?  Getting the oil changed, etc, in my car.  That means knitting time in the waiting room for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment