Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Mother of All Flowers?

This little peony plant doesn't look like much right now, bit it is a SURVIVOR!


This transplant came from my parent's condo in Westfield.  I took a sample of the bush just before the house sold after she died (almost two years ago),  but this peony started it's plant life much before that. It came from my childhood home, which had been transplanted from my grandparent's farm.  Mom took a bit of the peony each time she moved.  The plant's  roots are almost as deep in Hamilton County as my Mother's were.  She lived all but the first years of her life within a 5 mile radius.  I grew up about 2 miles west of where she grew up (we even gratulated from the same high school and shared one teacher at the beginning and ends of her career!).  She and Dad built two homes during their lives, and then bought a condo in the twilight of their lives, just two miles to the east of her family farm.

The peony plant was always there.  It gave us cuttings for Mother's Day, and we decorated graves with flowers from it on Memorial Day. (Of course I'll be taking some to Mom and Dad's graves this year, too)  It's still my favorite flower and now, although a little scrawny, I have a plant of my own.  Plus, it's the state flower of Indiana!  What a Hoosier, huh?

UPDATE on MAY 24:


Lju is NOT supposed to be up on the counter, but he likes the peonies, too

No comments:

Post a Comment