Sunday, May 27, 2012

Strawberry Fields Forever

The pie is delicious, the margaritas were non-existent, so the strawberries became JAM! I followed the directions on the package (and consulted some cooking sites on the web)

1.  Clean and hull the strawberries.  Mash them up, add sugar, and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil then add the pectin.  Bring back to a rolling boil. (Check.) 


2.  Sterilize jars and lids.  (Check.)

3.  Cook and skim off the "foam" (Check.)  I might've let my strawberries cook to long.  There was more "juice" than chunks of berries by the time I was ready to put it in jars.


4.  Ladle into jars, top with lids and give them a hot water bath for 10 minutes and wait for the seals to "pop. "  (Check.) My batch was 4 for 4 in the popping category which means, even if it doesn't taste that all that good, it will be safe to eat!.  I hope it firms up as it cools, or else it will be delicious topping for ice cream!  Strawberry Soup Forever??!!


My Mom and Grandmothers made jams, jellies, pickles, relishes, and canned all sorts of garden vegetables (tomatoes and green beans, mostly)  Why didn't I pay attention when I had the chance?  I kindest thing and most helpful things we could've done as kids was stay out of the kitchen when it was canning time!  I did that gladly!

I have every intention of canning from my garden this summer.  Mom used to make jars of banana pepper that John loved.  My goal is to replicate her recipe with peppers from our garden.  Today's attempt at canning something was just a test run.  Fingers crossed that it actually becomes jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment