Sunday, November 4, 2012

Baby Bumpers

The next big project is to make baby crib bumpers.  The crib skirt is all finished and today I completed bumper # 1 (5 more to go!)  The learning curve was pretty steep, but I think I have it now.

We had a tough time finding fabric for the piping.  I decided on a sunny yellow stripe.  Cut on the bias, I think it ties the blue chevron and the green polka dots together.

The first obstacle was to make the bias strips for the ties and the piping.  Measure twice, cut once!  It was tedious, but easy.  A couple of the pieces of cording gave me fits, but I think it will be fine.

The second obstacle was fitting the piping around the corners of the bumper.  Arrgh.  Some bad sewing technique (pinned incorrectly!) caused me to re-do, but now I have pictures of the first bumper.

Matching the crib skirt, perhaps this will be the INSIDE of the crib?

 The flip side:


Hard to get a picture of the whole bumper, but here it is, folded over for effect.


I did not get my house cleaned this weekend, but I loved working on this.  The parts for the remaining bumpers are all cut out and the piping is made.  The other 5 should go together a bit easier.  This was a good day of crafting fun!


UPDATE:  5 out of 6 bumpers finished.  These photos show both sides and in combo




FINAL UPDATE:  The bumpers are ready to mail to Minnesota with two new crib sheets to complete the set.

2 comments:

  1. it's going to be so so so so so so cute! :) can't wait to put it all together when we get the crib!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very designer impressive. Waiting for "Cindy's Boutique" to open on the Square

    ReplyDelete