Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Decision Time



After having the basement/family room remodeled, the last decision we need to make is what kind of coverings to put at the tiny basement windows.  The windows are only 13 x 30 and NOTHING in the stores is made for that size.  I put my thinking cap on and armed with a gift certificate to JoAnn's  Fabrics from my future son-in-law, I decided that I could make something.

While I was in college, had a summer job at a drapery factory.  It's long gone out of business (and it was NOT my fault!)  That summer, I got to make drapery pleats all day long on a huge sewing machine.  I remember it being loud and repetitive (I was only step number 3 in the long process of making draperies) and I got to do a lot of singing/practicing/memorizing arias, etc for my upcoming Senior Recital at school. It was so loud...no one could hear me. I thought it was a good use of my time, but now I guess I also have a hidden skill when it comes to draperies (Maybe)

I found some material at JoAnn's that was super on sale (50% off), plus I had a coupon. Because it was a remnant, I got another 50% off the 50%. Deal! No pleats on this one, just a pocket at the top for the curtain rod.

Two panel fullness by the fireplace
Now, the issue is: Should I have one panel over the window, or two?  I like the clean look of the one panel, but having two panels makes it look more finished and blocks out more light (and hopefully, blocks more cold air)  Then again, the two panels are so full, it sort of looks like a kitchen window.  

What to do? Right now, I have one window done of each style.  Perhaps I'll live with this for a few days and try to decide by the weekend when I have time to work on it again.

One panel on the window by the TV.

2 comments:

  1. We (Jake and I) both vote for the single panel because we like the clean lines, like you said. Truthfully though, they both look nice!! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ with Jillith-I like the double panel.
    JMHO!

    Great job!

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete