Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Welcome to Music Class

I had my camera at school today and decided to take a couple of pictures of the bulletin boards and displays in the classroom.  Not exactly a "craft, " but I think they are "crafty." Coming into the music room the children see the Do-Re-Mi Minions showing the solfege names for each scale degree.  They are made out of foam pieces and foam letters. I tried to make each of them have their own "personality." I'm not sure if you can see in the photo, but they are still correct for their place in the scale.  Mi and Fa are holding hands as are Ti and High Do (a half step apart)  Only I would care about that, but the kids really like them.   Each of their little heads used to have some sort of "hair" popping out but they have been touched and touched and patted and loved by children as they pass by.  (I'm giving up on saying "hands to yourself, please!") I think "Ti" looks like Uncle Phil. Purely coincidental.


On the opposite wall from the minions is an idea I took from a teacher bulletin board website.  All I had to do was download the pictures and put together the display that lists the National Standards.  It's what we do in music.

Then, our wonderful parents at Eisenhower put up any saying we wanted over the doors.  I chose "Sing, Learn, Play, Laugh"  That pretty much sums it up! Here's the view kids get as they enter my room.


The other side of the room has an entrance door, too.  I went "old school" for those walls - and very "punny."  I work at Eisenhower Elementary School - hence, "Ike" Tunes and the iPod made out of foam core poster board.


And, the best use EVER for those rotten BOOM WACKERS that every elementary music teacher has in the classroom.  (An "instrument" called a boom wackier is just begging for kids to bang each other up with them.)  These are attached with velcro dots.  It really is a nice demonstration of "the longer the tube, the lower the sound"


Not to be left out, I copied my ideas from Eisenhower when I got assigned to the other elementary school - Jerry Ross.  You can see the Do Re Minions are out of children's reach at this school.  They all still have their "hair"


UPDATE:  A template to make your own Minions can be found on the August 22, 2013 post 

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I LOVE the Music Minions! Do you have a pattern that you used or did you just free hand them? I am NOT an artist at all! Help! I WANT them in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking! I added a new post with a pdf pattern for a short and a tall pattern. Hope it's helpful. I had to learn how to make a pattern, turn it into a PDF, add it through Google Doc and then link to the post. Who says you can't teach and old teacher??!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the patterns! This is my Labor Day project!

      Delete