Monday, June 11, 2012

My Constant Companion



That's the actual name of this pattern for my favorite of all time knitting tote.  The pattern is from "The Knitter's Stash" by Barbara Albright.  This bag is made from Lamb's Pride Bulky Wool in a color called "prairie fire" and trimmed in orange.  I also love the handmade clay button I picked up somewhere along the way.

This bag might be ten years old - or close to it.  It is strong, sturdy, and roomy enough for all kinds of crafts.  It's my "go-to" bag for big knitting projects.

Right now, it's empty and awaiting my newest project - a throw for the couch in the living room.  I'm limiting myself to three (or maybe four!) knitting projects this summer.

Yes, I'm still working on the February Lady Sweater in grey.  I've taken it apart at least two times!  Arrgh.  Counting is essential when you're knitting a patterned lace. I'm back on track and things are going well with the sweater.

My third project for the summer will be a new pair of slippers.  The pair I made last year have seen better days - mostly because Gus took an interest in them.  As a puppy, he found them delicious, I guess, and extremely chewable.  Anyway, new pair for myself on the way and Gus gets a new chew toy!

This is my other almost-always-constant companion for knitting.  It's a 4 square mitered tote bag.  I found the pattern online at a site called "Knit a Bit." (www.knitabit.net.)   The actual name of the pattern is "Matching Miters Felted Bag" and it was designed by Barbara Breiter.   I keep this one stocked with smaller projects, or ones that need to be on the go.


I made this messenger bag (cross body) two summers ago. The pattern is from a book called "The Beginner's Guide to Felting."  I bought it at Stitches and Scones, a great little yarn shop in Westfield, but now it's out of business.  Aww!  The book is basically worthless - no neat patterns - but I made the bag just to keep myself busy and my mind occupied while I was caring for my Mom. I've never actually carried or used the bag in any way. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it until I was digging through the closet this weekend.  That's what prompted the posing of these three knitted and felted bags.  I like the shape of the bag and I loved making the felted flowers.  I've used the flower pattern to embellish other projects (like hats and ear warmers)

No comments:

Post a Comment