Monday, June 25, 2012

Santa...I Know Him!!

Christmas is "only" six months away!  Now is the time to start my holiday crafting!  Just kidding:  I usually save that for the last days possible and then - panic!  This year is my exception for holiday procrastination.  I've wanted to do this project for years (maybe 20 or so since the girls were little)  A long time ago, I made Christmas placemats for my parents and my sister in law, Barbara.  I always said that I would make some for our own family one day.  It never happened...until now!



This is Simplicity pattern 7024.  My original pattern was lost or ruined or just no where to be found, and although the pattern has been discontinued, I found it on EBay - totally uncut and unused (not that it would've made a difference to me!)  I have been waiting for school to be out so I can start this project.  It is the big crafting highlight of the summer for me.

I'm making six placemats.  Although I'm doing them in assembly-line fashion, I couldn't help but complete just one.  It is quite a complicated process for me.  There's lots of precise cutting, handwork and preparation before you even start the appliqué on the sewing machine.  It's  constructed in layers:  eyebrows, face, lips, mustache, nose, beard, mittens, quilt batting for stuffing, and finally the bias tape binding and the jingle bell decoration.  Ta-da!  It's nerve-wracking to do such intricate sewing (not my best skill), but it's fun and I feel super accomplished - even with just one of them completely finished.  Five more to go!

1 comment:

  1. Your sister-in-law's placemats are disheveled used for (approx 33?) years and need to be replaced.
    and maybe I can consider duplicating these for Maureen and their "new family unit" as described to Aidan.... or maybe not

    ReplyDelete