Saturday, July 14, 2012

4B Cream Pie (Black Bottom Banana from Barbara)

Thanks for the great recipe, Barbara.  She tells me that this recipe is originally from the Cooking Light Magazine, but I can't believe it.  DELICIOUS!


Baked pie crust (although I KNOW how to make a pie crust, I chose NOT to for this one)

3 T cornstarch, divided
2 T sugar
2 T unsweetened cocoa
dash salt
1 1/3 c 1% milk, divided
1 oz semi-sweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 T butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c (2 oz) fat free cream cheese
2 c ( 2 large) ripe bananas
1 1/2 c cool whip (thawed)

Combine 1 T cornstarch, 2 T sugar, cocoa and salt in a small heavy saucepan with 1/3 c milk.  (I dissolved the cornstarch in the milk before adding to the pan to help prevent lumps) Stir with a whisk and cook 2 minutes on medium low heat.  Add chocolate and bring to a boil (I just let mine melt until smooth)  Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute more.  Spread evenly in baked (and cooled) pie crust.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 T cornstarch, 1 c. milk, 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, eggs (beaten), butter and stir constantly with a whisk.  (Again, I dissolved my cornstarch in the milk prior to cooking.)  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and cook 30 seconds or until slightly thickened.  It will thicken more as it cooled. (Mine got very thick, very suddenly and I feared that I would have a lumpy chunky mess on my hands)  Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside

Beat cream cheese until creamy.  Add 1/4 c of the hot custard to the beaten cream cheese.  AHH!  My almost lumpy custard smoothed out beautifully.  Add rest of custard and beat until creamy and smooth.

Layer sliced bananas on top of chocolate.  Pour custard on top of bananas and top with Cool Whip topping (it called for 1 1/2 c cool whip, but I didn't use nearly that amount)  Garnish with chocolate shavings (I used chocolate chips)

Next time?  How about a ribbon of sweetened peanut butter between the chocolate and the bananas?  That would make it an Elvis pie!

The chocolate layer was wonderful but my favorite part was the custard.  Light and really delicious.  Thanks, Barb!

No comments:

Post a Comment