Friday, July 20, 2012

One Yard Wonders

Although my sewing project list is finished, I still wanted to find a way to use my little reindeer motif.  How about an apron for the holidays?  Done and done!  I went back through the great book that Jill gave me for my birthday, and I found three really nice apron patterns.  I chose the pattern called "Cottage Cozy" and got to work.

In addition to using only one yard of material, most of the patterns are basic sewing - nothing difficult or too complicated to tackle. Because they're basic patterns, most can be completed in a day.  The apron took just about an hour to make, minus the buttonhole.  I had to look up a video on YouTube to remind myself how to make a buttonhole.  Okay...now I remember.  The first one I made was a little rough, but the others turned out fine.

Here's the reindeer apron.


I like wearing an apron when I cook (mostly because I'm messy).  I've always had a couple of aprons of my own, and now I have several others that were my mom's and a couple of them that were made by her sister.  That solidified my use! I wear a half apron most days, but a full one when I bake (flour has a tendency to fly!)

This cozy cottage apron is a real throw-back in style.  Two front pockets - essential, and a cross and tie in the back.  This pattern also calls for four yards of 2 inch wide ribbon to use as the cross and bow.  Perfect!

Speaking of throw-backs, how about this delightful bowl of cherries fabric for another apron?  This one is a housewarming gift.  Pockets, cherries, polka-dots, and lace - definitely an "I Love Lucy" homage!  Fun to make. 





No comments:

Post a Comment