Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Red and Ripe, but Rainy

I know I'm starting to sound like an old farm wife, but WHAT IS UP WITH THIS WEATHER?  It was 100 degrees yesterday and this morning at 8 o'clock we had a sudden horrific wind and rain storm.  The wind/rain was so loud and blowy, it sounded like surf at the beach.  It was one of those micro-bursts, I guess.  Our garden faired well as evidenced in the photo, but two houses down the street each lost a tree.  Luckily, the trees fell forward, out into the street, and not on the roofs.  I saw lots of limbs and lawn furniture cruising down the road during the storm!  Thankfully, all is well on this side  of the neighborhood.  

Although we've had oodles and oodles of cherry tomatoes, this is the first ripe tomato of the year.  Nothing better!  We had cages around the plants, but they weren't strong enough in the wind this morning. We've added stakes, so that should do it (?)  We only had one "casualty" fall off the vines during the storm, but I think it will ripen on it's own.

This is the most important thing I've learned during the stormy summer season: When the power goes out, eat the ice cream first!

No comments:

Post a Comment