Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dog Days of Summer

Barbara gave me a dog bone cookie cutter - so,  of course! -  I had to try it out.  I found an easy recipe online (the source of all modern knowledge) and although I shouldn't have been, I was surprised at the amount of doggie treat information and recipes that are readily available for the canine-caring cook.

There were long lists of dos and don'ts, including types of foods that are bad for dogs.  Good to know,  I guess, but I found that page a bit scary. I'm not sure I paid THAT much attention to the food I've been feeding my family for years.  There was even information about watching your dog's cholesterol levels.  I kid you not!  I settled on a basic recipe with ingredients that I (mostly) had on hand.


Here's the recipe I used: BABY BEEF DOG TREATS

2 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 powdered milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I omitted this.  Several sites said this could be harmful to dogs.  Others said a little bit won't hurt.  I don't need a doggie with garlic breath.  That was my deciding factor!)
6 T vegetable oil
1 egg
8 - 10 T water (I may have left this out by accident, but no harm)
2 small jars strained baby food (beef, chicken, lamb or liver)
I made a trip to the grocery story for this.  It's been 28 years since I've purchased baby food, but for Gus, I bought the chicken with sweet potatoes - organic, of course.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  The first batch I baked got a bit brown, so on the second go round, I turned them over after 10 minutes.  That worked better.

Just like the nursery rhyme:  Roll it.  Pat it.  Mark it with a "G"


And put it in the oven for Gus and me.


So... how does it taste?  I wasn't going to try it, so I gave one to the "expert."




So, with that approval (keeping in mind that dogs will eat their own poop!),  the others are ready to send out to our doggie friends.




2 comments:

  1. Lambeau got his today in the mail and LOVED them!! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Laubeau and Gus are enjoying their cookies!

    ReplyDelete